History

The history of the College of Engineering spans more than 125 years, since the founding of Georgia Tech as the Georgia School of Technology. Beginning with classes for mechanical engineering in 1888, the College of Engineering has evolved into separate Schools for more than 10 fields of engineering. Opening its doors with 84 students, the College now enrolls more than 13,000 undergraduate and graduate students. During its history, Tech grew from a narrowly focused trade school to a regionally recognized technological university to a global leader in engineering education and research.

2017

On August 2, 2017 Steven W. McLaughlin was named dean of the College of Engineering, effective Sept. 15. He follows Gary S. May, who left Georgia Tech to become chancellor of UC Davis.

2015

Mike Anderson, president and CEO of both Southern Company Charitable Foundation and Georgia Power Foundation, with Gary S. May, Dean of the Georgia Tech College of Engineering

Southern Company Charitable Foundation and Georgia Power Foundation announce a $5 million gift to establish the Dean’s Chair in the College of Engineering at Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech welcomed President Barack Obama on Tuesday, March 10, 2015. Nearly 10,000 students, faculty, staff, and guests packed McCamish Pavilion to hear the president speak about college affordability and announce the Student Aid Bill of Rights.

 

 

ECE professor Russell Dupuis is awarded the Draper Prize for his contributions to the development of LEDs. Dupuis invented the process that is the basis of virtually all production of high-brightness LEDs, laser diodes, solar cells, and high-speed optoelectronic (light controlling) devices, in 1977.

2013

2013 CoE student Nick Selby gives a convocation speech that garners worldwide attention online and in the news media.

 

 

The Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering celebrates its 125th anniversary.

2012

Georgia Tech is selected to join a Federal Aviation Administration Center of Excellence.

2011

2011 Gary S. May is appointed dean of the College of Engineering.

Jane Ammons is named chair of the Stewart School of Industrial Engineering, becoming the first female chair of a CoE school.

2010

College of Engineering Dean Don P. Giddens is elected to serve as president of the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) for 2011-2012.

The polymer, textile and fiber engineering program merges with materials science and engineering to form a single school, the School of Materials Science and Engineering.

Georgia Tech-Lorraine in Metz, France, marks its twentieth anniversary.

2008

The Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering celebrated its 10th anniversary.

2007

Aerospace Engineering Chair Robert Loewy won the Daniel Guggenheim Medal, awarded jointly by AIAA and ASME.

Russell DuPuis won the Edison Medal, the top honor of IEEE.

2006

Ground was broken on the Nanotechnology Research Center. Retired Home Depot executive Bernie Marcus contributed $15 million, which was matched by a grant from the state of Georgia.

The National Cancer Institute and National Institutes of Health selected Georgia Tech and Emory University as one of seven national Centers of Cancer Nanotechnology Centers of Excellence.

Georgia Tech formed a dual degree program with Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China.

Carolyn J. and H. Milton Stewart, Jr. (IE 1961) committed $20 million to the School of ISyE to establish a permanent endowment for unrestricted use.

2004

 Georgia Tech is designated the No. 1 producer of African-American engineers at the bachelor's and master's degree levels by Black Issues in Higher Education.

2003

Textile and Fiber Engineering renamed to Polymer, Textile and Fiber Engineering.

Chemical Engineering is renamed to Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering.

2002

Georgia Tech celebrates 50 years of women in engineering.

 

1997

The Department of Biomedical Engineering established as a joint venture between Georgia Tech College of Engineering and the Emory University School of Medicine. It's the first joint venture of its kind between a public and private academic institution.

1994

G. Wayne Clough (CE '64, MS CE `65) is the first alumnus to become president of Tech.

1990

Students enroll in classes at Georgia Tech-Lorraine which offers graduate programs for European students.

1985

The School of Materials Science and Engineering is created.

1961

Tech admits its first African-American students.

1952

The Board of Regents votes to make Tech co-educational. The first two female students enroll in the fall quarter.

1948

The Board of Regents authorizes Tech to change its name to the Georgia Institute of Technology.

1945

The School of Industrial Engineering is established.

1934

The Engineering Experiment Station (the forerunner of the Georgia Tech Research Institute) begins operation with $5,000 of state support.

1930

The Daniel Guggenheim School of Aeronautics is created with a $300,000 grant from the Guggenheim Foundation.

1901

The School of Chemical Engineering is established.

1899

The School of Textile Engineering is established.

1896

The Schools of Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering are established.

1890

The first students graduate.
First students from Georgia Tech's College of Engineering graduate.

1888

Four professors are hired and 84 students begin classes at the Georgia School of Technology. The first academic program is in mechanical engineering, and the only degree offered is a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering.

1885

Georgia Gov. Henry D. McDaniel signs a bill appropriating $65,000 to create a technical school.